Kala Ashtami is a Hindu festival celebrated on the eighth day of the waning phase of the moon. Kalashtami is a Hindu festival that falls on the Ashtami tithi of the Krishna Paksha of every month, which is dedicated to Bhagwan Bhairav, a fierce form of Lord Shiva.
Kalashtami, also known as Kalabhairav Jayanti, is an auspicious Hindu observance dedicated to Lord Kalabhairava, a fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva. It is observed on the eighth day (Ashtami) of the waning phase of the moon (Krishna Paksha) in the Hindu lunar month.
Lord Kalabhairava is considered the guardian deity of time and is believed to possess immense power and protect his devotees from evil influences. Kalashtami is celebrated to seek the blessings of Lord Kalabhairava and to invoke his protection and guidance.
Kalashtami 2023: Date and Timings(Tithi)
Ashtami date starts : 10 June 2023 at 2:02 pm; Ashtami date ends : 11 June 2023 at 12:06 pm.
Kalashtami 2023: Rituals
During Kalashtami, devotees observe fasting and engage in various religious activities. Here are some key aspects of the observance:
- Fasting: Devotees usually observe a strict fast on Kalashtami. They abstain from consuming food throughout the day and break the fast only after sunset, following the completion of the Kalashtami rituals.
- Rituals and Worship: Devotees visit Lord Shiva temples and perform special pujas (rituals) dedicated to Lord Kalabhairava. They offer prayers, chant mantras, and light oil lamps to invoke the blessings of Lord Kalabhairava.
- Recitation of Kalabhairava Ashtakam: The Kalabhairava Ashtakam, a revered hymn dedicated to Lord Kalabhairava, is recited by devotees. It praises the attributes and powers of Lord Kalabhairava and is believed to invoke his divine presence and protection.
- Bhajan and Devotional Singing: Devotees engage in singing devotional songs and bhajans dedicated to Lord Kalabhairava. These melodious chants create an atmosphere of devotion and reverence.
Kalashtami 2023: Benefits
The observance of Kalashtami is believed to bestow several benefits:
- Protection and removal of obstacles: Lord Kalabhairava is considered the guardian deity who protects his devotees from negative influences and removes obstacles from their path. Observing Kalashtami is believed to invoke his protective grace and aid in overcoming challenges.
- Spiritual growth and transformation: Devotees believe that by worshiping Lord Kalabhairava, they can attain spiritual growth, inner strength, and transformation. His fierce form is associated with the destruction of ignorance and the purification of the soul.
- Time management and discipline: Lord Kalabhairava’s association with time emphasizes the importance of disciplined living and effective time management. Observing Kalashtami is believed to help devotees develop discipline and make the most of their time and resources.
Kalashtami is observed by devotees across different regions, particularly those who have a strong reverence for Lord Kalabhairava. It provides an opportunity for devotees to seek divine blessings, protection, and spiritual growth through their devotion and worship of Lord Kalabhairava.
If you liked this article or want to share some information with us then do write us in the comment section below.
Comment below your views. We would love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to us on our Social Channels to never miss out on any updates from us.