Sankashti Chaturthi is a significant Hindu festival that is celebrated with great devotion and enthusiasm. It falls on the fourth day (Chaturthi) of the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of the moon) every lunar month. Among all the Chaturthi dates, the Sankashti Chaturthi that falls in the month of June 2023 holds special importance. In this blog, we will explore the date, time, rituals, and significance of Sankashti Chaturthi in 2023.
SANKASHTI CHATURTHI- 7 JUNE 2023
Sankashti Chaturthi, also known as Sankatahara Chaturthi, is a monthly Hindu fasting day dedicated to Lord Ganesha. It falls on the fourth day (Chaturthi) of the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of the moon) in the Hindu lunar month. Sankashti Chaturthi is observed with devotion and fasting to seek Lord Ganesha’s blessings and to overcome obstacles in life.
The word “Sankashti” is derived from two Sanskrit words, “San” meaning troubles or problems, and “Kashti” meaning to destroy or remove. Therefore, Sankashti Chaturthi is believed to be a day when Lord Ganesha is worshiped to alleviate difficulties and bring prosperity and success.
On Sankashti Chaturthi, devotees observe a strict fast from sunrise to moonrise. They abstain from consuming any food and often perform special pujas (prayers) or recite hymns dedicated to Lord Ganesha. The fast is broken after sighting the moon and offering prayers to Lord Ganesha.
Date and Time of Sankashti Chaturthi 2023
Devotees eagerly await this auspicious day to seek the blessings of Lord Ganesha, the remover of obstacles. Sankashti Chaturthi June 2023 Date: June 7, Wednesday. Chaturthi Tithi Timing: June 07, 12:50 am – June 07, 9:51 pm. This period is considered highly favorable for performing the rituals associated with Sankashti Chaturthi.
Rituals of Sankashti Chaturthi 2023
- Observing a Fast: Devotees observe a fast on Sankashti Chaturthi from sunrise to moonrise. This fast is known as “Sankashti Chaturthi Vrat” and is believed to bring good fortune and remove obstacles from one’s life. The fast is broken after sighting the moon and performing the necessary rituals.
- Preparing for the Pooja: On Sankashti Chaturthi, devotees clean their homes and decorate the puja area with flowers and rangoli (colored powder designs). They gather the necessary puja items such as idols or images of Lord Ganesha, a lamp, incense sticks, flowers, fruits, and modaks (sweet dumplings).
- Evening Pooja: As the sun sets, devotees gather for the evening puja. They light the lamp and offer prayers to Lord Ganesha, seeking his blessings. The puja includes chanting of
- mantras, singing devotional songs, and reciting the Ganesh Atharvashirsha or Ganesha’s 108 names.
- Moon Gazing and Breaking the Fast: After the puja, devotees wait for the moonrise. Once the moon is visible, they offer prayers and perform an aarti (ritual of waving a lamp) to the moon. This signifies the end of the fast, and devotees break their fast by partaking in a simple meal or prasad.
SANKASHTI CHATURTHI: Significance and Benefits
- Removal of obstacles: Lord Ganesha is revered as the remover of obstacles. By observing Sankashti Chaturthi and seeking His blessings, devotees believe that their obstacles, troubles, and challenges can be overcome.
- Prosperity and success: Devotees believe that worshiping Lord Ganesha on this day can bring prosperity, good fortune, and success in various aspects of life, including personal, professional, and spiritual realms.
- Spiritual purification: Fasting and engaging in prayer and worship on Sankashti Chaturthi are considered purifying and help in spiritual growth and self-discipline.
- Devotion and gratitude: Observing Sankashti Chaturthi is an expression of devotion and gratitude towards Lord Ganesha. It is an opportunity for devotees to deepen their connection with the deity and strengthen their faith.
Sankashti Chaturthi is observed by many devotees of Lord Ganesha across different regions. The specific rituals and traditions associated with the observance may vary, but the underlying purpose remains the same—to seek Lord Ganesha’s blessings and overcome obstacles in life.
If you liked this article or want to share some information with us then do write us in the comment section below.
Comment below your views. We would love to hear from you. Don’t forget to subscribe to us on our Social Channels to never miss out on any updates from us.